Are you really good at planning healthy meals, but notice things go awry during the hours in between those meals? Mindless snacking can put you over the limit of food you want to be consuming in a day and fill you up with sugar and other things you want to avoid. Finding smart ways to change that mindless snacking habit can help you lose weight and protect your health.
Read below for 8 quick ways to help you snack less and keep those extra pounds away.
1) Be mindful. Are you surprised to find you've eaten half a cake when you really intended to have just one slice? When you really pay attention to each bite, you'll be satisfied with less food. Turn off the TV or stop reading your phone or book when you eat, and chew slowly. Notice the taste and texture.
2) Leave the table. It's difficult to notice when dinner ends and snacking starts if you sit around munching on leftovers on the dinner table. Clear the table as soon as you’re finished, and then go for a walk.
3) Hydrate. Many times you may think you’re hungry when you are actually thirsty. The next time you want a snack, drink a glass of water, wait a few minutes, and see if the desire to snack goes away.
4) Sleep well. Chronic fatigue and lack of good sleep can also make you want to eat. Go to bed on time and practice good sleep habits.
5) Chew gum or Drink Tea. Sugar-free gum or herbal teas are ideal snacks. Satisfy your sweet tooth and enjoy chewing without consuming any calories. Gum even helps to clean up bacteria in your mouth in between brushing and flossing. Caffeine free herbal teas are a great choice instead of snacking.
6) Keep a log. You may be snacking more than you realize. Use your phone or a notebook to track what's really going inside your mouth throughout the day.
7) Manage your stress. Do you eat to distract yourself when dealing with difficult emotions? Rather than snack, try calling a friend or listening to music instead. Run or take a walk in the morning or go to the gym after work.
8) Meditation or Hypnosis. Listening to a meditation or self-hypnosis recording can change your state when you’re not feeling your best, and have you relaxed, centered, and feeling in control once again.